7 ways to show yourself love
Â Self love is about having a regard for your own happiness and well-being. Practicing self love can be difficult, especially when youâre just starting out and trying to make changes in the way you think about yourself, or in the way youâve been taught to regard yourself. Itâs not aboutÂ being full of yourself or self-absorbed, itâs aboutÂ getting in touch with yourself, your body and what it needs, your own happiness and taking care of you.
- Take a bath. Add your favorite bath bomb, light some scented candles, pop on some relaxing music and soak away your stresses. If youâre inclined to stay in there for a while, make sure you have a good book, some nibbles and a cheeky glass of bubbles on hand. Once youâre out of the bath, grab your favorite body oil or body butter and rub it in from head to toe.
- Think positive. There are a myriad of ways to do this. Some people like to start their day with positive self talk, some like to surround themselves with positive affirmations and some like to end the day by acknowledging three good things â about themselves, about their achievements, about their day. I found The Happiness Experiment through my friend Tarryne from Change One Woman, and acknowledging three good things each day helped me to change my (very negative) outlook on life and myself to a positive one. Give it a go for 100 days and see what a difference it makes!
- Learn to say no. By nature, I am a âyes personâ. I often do things because I know they will make others happy, or because I donât want to feel like Iâm missing out on something. An important part of showing yourself love and respect knows when you need to say no â whether itâs because your schedule is already full, because youâre tired or unwell, or because you just donât want to. Check out these tips on why itâs important to say no and how to do it without coming across as a jerk.
- Eat well. From the time we are young, we are taught to ignore the cues that our body gives us. To eat until the plate is clear rather than until we are satisfied; to eat meat and three veg, regardless of what is in season and what our body tells us that we need; eating when we are dehydrated and actually need water rather than food. Show yourself love by eating food that nourishes you and makes you feel good (for example, when I started listening to my body I found out that I am gluten intolerant, processed sugar doesnât agree with me very much and I love fresh mango). Listen to the things your body is telling you and find a way of eating that allows your body to perform at itâs best.
- Pamper yourself. Whether itâs giving yourself a facial and a manicure at home (check out my tips on how to paint your nails like a pro) or booking an appointment and putting yourself in the hands of a professional, everyone deserves to take a little time out and put themselves first.
- Take time out to be mindful. At the start of each day, I take some time to think about what I want to achieve that day, what I already have achieved, who I am and how awesome I am. It keeps me focused for the day ahead and itâs a chance to remind myself of my purpose and how much I deserve great things. Sometimes I do it while Iâm exercising or at the beginning of meditation, sometimes while moisturizing my body and in winter, I do it in bed (because itâs cold, and no one wants to get out of bed a moment earlier than necessary!). Where ever you choose to do it and how ever you do it, take some time to just be aware of you.